Janne Iivonen is a Finnish award-winning illustrator who currently lives & works in the UK. During his career, he has worked for big magazines such as the New Yorker, GQ, The Guardian, The Times, The Independent, The Washington Post, Wired, as well as Red Bull, Heineken, Conde Nast, American Airlines, etc.
What Janne Iivonen’s work is special about is probably his cartoonish style. All his characters look like they have been drawn in the 1970s, but what makes them truly stand out is the modernity – often, his characters use the 21st-century devices such as the iPhone for taking selfies, read Bridget Jones, or watch Netflix, so we basically see a retro style in contemporary situations.
The New Yorker
The Washington Post
Like this article? Here are some more interesting designers:
- Character illustration by Dave Mottram
- Playful character illustrations of Marco Martina
- James Gilleard’s illustrations [interview]
- Illustrations of Victor Beuren
Latest posts by Vesna Savić (see all)
- What’s going on with Stefano Marra - 18. June 2018.
- How to outsource web development projects successfully - 14. June 2018.
- Urban Legend: Chicago by photographer Viktor Jan [interview] - 5. June 2018.